Saturday, August 05, 2006

Great Expectations

I didn't actually PROMISE to never mention VBS again. In fact, while saying it was over, I actually hinted that I might mention it again.

Anyway, last Thursday, as I came back from lunch, I was trying to think of a way to thank the volunteers for all of their hard work with the crafts. The song (Steven Curtis Chapman again), called Great Expectations, was playing in the car:

And I, I've been invited as a son
Oh I, I've been invited to come and ...

Believe the unbelievable
Receive the inconceivable
And see beyond my wildest imagination
Lord, I come with great expectations

I worried about VBS (Really? You couldn't tell?). Steve's comments (which I mention in this post) and Jeff's comment (linked here) reminded me that I needed to trust God more in this entire enterprise. To facilitate that, I did some pretty concrete things on the Monday before VBS began to "transfer ownership" to God.

I kind of mentioned that on Thursday when I was thanking everyone for all of their HARD HARD work, and said that the problem with giving God control of something is that your expectations are raised. I've wondered since then if that was a strange thing to say, but I still think it's true.

The more I think about it, the more I've come to agree with myself (isn't that handy?)

Living a life of faith -- trusting God -- means that our expectations are higher -- about everything:

  • I expect that my sins are forgiven by a perfect God, who has never sinned.
  • I expect that God -- the creater of the universe -- loves and cares about little me.
  • Because of that, I expect that He will be involved in my life.
Believe the unbelievable
Receive the inconceivable
And see beyond my wildest imagination
Lord, I come with great expectations
  • I hope to live with that God beyond this life
  • I hope that I can live a life better than I would have without Him
  • I hope that He can take the little I know how to give and transform it into a worthy offering.
Believe the unbelievable
Receive the inconceivable
And see beyond my wildest imagination
Lord, I come with great expectations
  • I'm trying to learn to trust God to equip me to do the jobs that He wants me ot do.
  • I'm starting to learn to trust God to help me to know what to say and when to say it
  • I'm learning to trust God to bring about life beyond what I could have dreamed of.
  • I'm learning just what it means to be a member of the Body of Christ, and to see that Body alive all around me.
Believe the unbelievable
Receive the inconceivable
And see beyond my wildest imagination
Lord, I come with great expectations

I stand amazed and astounded by what God can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home