Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Seeing Mary Magdalene with Different Eyes

A couple of months ago I was beginning a browse of the current lectionary readings at Vanderbilt University - where I always go to find the current revised common lectionary passages.  It's a great site - I encourage you to use it if you don't already.

While there, I saw an announcement for a Vanderbilt Divinity Library Exhibit called Seeing Mary Magdalene with Different Eyes.  This is an in-person exhibit but is also well represented through this online version.

The online exhibit includes a video recording of the opening lecture, featuring Beth Maczka's research on the topic.  The lecture is less than 30 minutes long, but is very good.  I'm posting it here to encourage you to go view it.

As you do, think about Mary Magdalene, not a prostitute as she is so often portrayed, but actually the anointer (probably), a witness to the crucifixion, and a proclaimer of the resurrection. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home